What are the different types ?
Today, there are two primary types of electric shavers. These are the foil blade and the rotary blade. Before you can select the appropriate mens electric shavers, you must know the differences between the two types. This way, you will get an idea on which type suits you best.
A rotary shaver has independently swiveling revolving rotary blades (as below). They’re designed to adapt around the countours of your face (and body) to ensure the heads always have maximum contact with your skin. It’s most effectively used by shaving in a circular fashion, so the blades are able to cut the hair that grows at different angles.
The foil blade type makes use of the back and forth motion, instead of the rounding motion, when being used. This type of mens electric shavers may consist of one to four blade rows. If you are a new shaver, you may want to consider using the single foil shavers first. The most favorable feature about this type is the closeness of the shave. While most men prefer the closest shave possible.
The single foil shaver is also suitable for men whose unwanted hairs grow slow. There is also what they call double foil shaver. These mens electric shavers provide two cutters. On the other hand, a triple foil shaver uses three cutters. For frequent shavers, these two foil shaver types are suitable.
A rotary shaver is ideal, if
– You have thick or course hair
– Don’t shave often
– Your natural hair growth is uneven and grows in various directions
– Don’t need an extremely close shave
– You don’t want to regularly clean your shaver
A foil shaver is ideal, if
– You have fine hair
– Shave everyday
– Prefer razor blade precision and want a close shave
– Hair growth is straight and in one direction
– You can regularly clean your shaver
What features should I look for?
There are many different manufacturers and models, and no two electric shavers are created equal. There can be stark differences such as technology, price, contour, noise and functionality.
Foil shavers win hands down for closeness of the shave. Though you may require multiple passes over the skin, the design simply allows for a better shave, and in some cases it can be as good as shaving with a blade, without the risk of nicking your skin.
Rotary shavers are generally quieter than foil shavers. The higher end rotary shavers wouldn’t able to be heard by someone in the next room, so ideal if you’re an early morning or late night shaver.
Both foil and rotary perform pretty well with contour matching. If you take into account efficiency and risk to those with sensitive skin or acne, the rotary shaver comes out on top. A foil requires multiple passes, but can be better suited for precision shaving.
Both foil and rotary shavers come with wet or dry capabilities. It’ll depend on the model, which of course is reflected in the price. A wet shaver can be another tool for those with sensitive skin or with other skin conditions as soothing shaving foam can be applied.
Foil shavers are generally the fastest of the two types, with some foils running 14 000 cycles per minute. If shaving before work is a daily routine for you, foil is the choice if you’ve got pretty normal skin.
Rotary shavers are pretty much hassle free as there’s very little space for hair to get stuck, but neither are totally maintenance free. Foil shavers can require a little patience and effort as fine hair gets stuck into the rectangular unit. A small brush is a handy tool to have to clean your foil or rotary shaver.
Like many appliances, there are many electric shavers that cost a lot of money and some that are more reasonably priced. Making a choice between shavers depends on the budget range you are looking to spend. For the most part, manufacturers in the market are extremely competitive in terms of quality so a low price does not mean a shoddy shaver.
If you have a budget in mind then simply go with some of the most popular brands and find the shaver with features that you want. Once you have a brand or model in mind, it will be easy to compare which model is worth the buy.
Comfort and Design
After deciding which type of shaver you want and how much you are looking to spend, it is important to consider if the handle and grip will be comfortable. Also, it will be beneficial to decide if you prefer a cordless shaver for added mobility.
Since most men will need to shave routinely, it is wise to check reviews online and see how others rate the model in the areas of comfort and reliability. There are also many designs so you will certainly find the color, shape, and size that fit your unique taste.
With technology advancing so rapidly, there are many electric shavers that come with advanced features. Many models now come with clear LCD displays and a wide range of settings for length and speed. Although many brands come with more options, choosing one with a lesser amount of settings does not mean a compromise in overall quality. Men who are more adamant about having a great shave have the options to buy an electric shaver that come with a cleaning station, extra blades, and even trimmer attachments.
How to use an Electric Shaver
For first time shavers, it is necessary that you have an idea on what you are doing. Otherwise, you might cut yourself or cause you unwanted shaving looks. In order to utilize mens electric shavers, you need to follow the following steps.
- Face Preparation – Before you start using electric shavers, you need to prepare your face. Although some electric shavers can be used without cream or water, there are electric shavers that require you to wet your face. Just to be sure, clean your face before trying to shave. If you are using a dry electric razor, make sure that your whole face is entirely dry before you start shaving. This includes the hair in your face. As much as possible, avoid washing your face before shaving. Instead, use a pre-shave lotion that is alcohol-based.
- Slow and Intentional Motion – Most men use electric shavers because it does not require any directions when shaving. You can shave against or with the grain of your hair. However, you need to make sure that you do it slowly and apply gentle pressure in it. If you are using rotary type electric shavers, you may utilize small rounding motions when shaving.
- Beware of Heat-Related Irritation – If you have a sensitive skin, be very cautious when using mens electric shavers. This is because this type of shaver has the tendency to heat up while you are shaving. As much as possible, you should start shaving the most sensitive parts of your face. This is the best way to avoid irritation.
- Rinsing – Once you are satisfied with the results, you can finish off by rinsing using warm water. Afterwards, use cool water. Pat your face dry and use an aftershave that is alcohol-based. This will help soothe and moisturize your skin.
Benefits of Using Electric Shavers
- Using electric shaver for men provides many benefits. One of these benefits is it prevents razor burn. Razor burn is a common problem when using razors. Not only does it hurt, it also leaves red rash and often feels irritating and itchy.
- Another benefit you can get when you use mens electric shavers is that shaving cream is no longer required nor water. Hence, using this type of shaver is faster, easier, more convenient and more portable. This is particularly useful for men who are always in a hurry.
- Mens electric shavers are handy gadgets. They may be somewhat bigger compared to traditional razors or the more modern plastic razors. Yet, despite the size difference, electric razors are very easy to carry around. Especially if you are frequently traveling, such electric shavers can easily slip into your tightly packed bag. You may say that electric razors are bulkier than their traditional counterparts. True, but electric razors are not just portable–they also take you less time to finish shaving than if you used traditional razors. What will take you 5 minutes using a conventional shaver will only take a minute or less using an electric razor.
- Electric shavers are ideal for daily use. They are effective in keeping your beard or moustache off your face if you use them daily.
Making a Final Decision
Always keep in mind that price does not directly measure the quality of an electric shaver. The trick to choosing the best one is to compare various models to find the most appropriate for you. Even if a friend or relative loves the most expensive shaver available, it does not mean that you will be equally pleased. Whichever brand and model you choose, always look for great deals and product reviews online before you buy the best electric shaver.